By TIM ROWDEN
Bridgeton, MO – Union members and friends of working families gave generously, raising some $20,000 to help union families facing financial hardship, at the annual St. Louis Labor Council Union Representatives’ Christmas Luncheon Dec. 16 at Machinists District 9 Hall.
The annual holiday gathering is a major fundraiser for the $5 for the Fight Fund.
“Every year we take up a collection for ‘$5 for the Fight,’ knowing that we have union brothers and sisters who are hurting due to job loss, medical expenses, home loss or other circumstances,” Labor Council President Pat White said. “And every year, our unions, union members and friends come through, giving generously to help those in need, not just at the holidays but all year.”
- Laborers Local 110 topped the list of donors this year with an incredible $10,000 donation to the Fight Fund.
- O’Brien Law Firm donated $5,000 to the Fight Fund.
- Pattonville Fire District fire fighter/paramedics, represented by the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) Local 2665, donated $500 to the Fight Fund.
“The generosity of our union members and friends never ceases to amaze me,” White said. “Our union brothers and sisters are truly a family, and families take care of one another. That’s what the $5 for the Fight Fund is all about, helping our union members in their times of need.”
The $5 for the Fight Fund is administered by the United Way and makes payments directly to vendors and service providers to help union members with rent and mortgage payments, utilities, medical bills and other needs.
HOW TO CONTRIBUTE
Donations to the $5 for the Fight Fund can be made by check or online.
• Mail a check or money order to “$5 for the Fight, c/o St. Louis Labor Council, 3301 Hollenberg Drive, Bridgeton, MO 63044; please include your union affiliation.
• Online – Visit labortribune.com/5-for-the-fight. You will be taken to a secure page where you can make a one-time donation or a repeating monthly donation.
• Shop at Schnucks Markets and using their eScript card at checkout will provide a percentage of your purchase to the Fight Fund, and it costs you nothing. It’s a donation from Schnucks. Pick up a card at the Customer Service Center if you don’t already have one, call 1-800-931-6258 and add “St. Louis Labor Council 5 for the Fight Fund” to your list of charities receiving help. You can have three groups getting help from your food purchases.
One hundred percent of every donation goes into the Fight Fund to help union members in need. All efforts to promote and service the Fund are donated by the Labor Council, the United and the Labor Tribune.