On Dec. 14, the Electoral College met to officially vote on the 2020 Presidential election. According to the Constitution, the national election in November determines which slate of electors your state will send to the Electoral College, for example, voters in New York voted to send the Democratic slate while voters in Florida voted to send the Republican.
According to the November results 306 electors were sent to vote for Joe Biden and 232 were sent to vote for Trump.
As the electors meet around the country and cast their votes there were a few familiar names to union members. While some states only chose party insiders, like county party chairs, or elected officials, other states included a mix of activists and elected officials. This year 26 of the votes were cast for President-elect Joe Biden by union leaders. Below are the union electors by state:
- Luis Alberto Heredia – Executive Director of the Arizona Education Association.
- James McLaughlin – President of the Arizona AFL-CIO, President of UFCW Local 99 and Vice President of the UFCW International Union.
- Fred Yamashita – Executive Director of the Arizona AFL-CIO and a former member of UFCW Local 99.
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
- Jacqueline Thompson – Echavarria – UFCW Local 400 and a cashier at a Safeway grocery store.
- Meedie Bardonille – nurse and member of the DC Nurses Association.
- Ben Myers – Political/ Legislative Affairs Director of IBEW Local 613.
- Blake Mazurek – President of the Grandville Education Association and a public school History teacher.
- Bonnie Lauria – Retired GM worker and UAW representative.
- Tim Smith – UniServ Director for the Michigan Education Association.
- Steven Rzeppa – Political and Communications Director for AFSCME Council 25 and the Mayor of Trenton.
- Michael Kerwin – a retired UAW International representative and a member of UAW Local 174.
- Chuck Browning – Director of UAW Region 1.
- Diana Tastad-Damer – Assistant Director of Organizing for UFCW 1189.
- Artie Blanco – Western Region Campaign Coordinator for the AFL-CIO
- Yvanna Cancela – former Political Director of the Culinary Workers Union and current State Senator
- Vince Alvarado – President of the New Mexico Federation of Labor and the Financial Secretary and Business Manager for SMART Local 49.
- Mario Cilento – President of the New York State AFL-CIO and a member of the Newspaper Guild-CWA.
- Gary LaBarbera – President of the New York City Building and Construction Trades Council.
- Stuart Appelbaum – President of RWDSU.
- George Gresham – President of SEIU Local 1199.
- Rhonda ‘Randi’ Weingarten – President of the American Federation of Teachers.
- Mary Sullivan – President, CSEA, AFSCME Local 1000
- Rick Bloomingdale – President of the Pennsylvania AFL-CIO, he came out of AFSCME Council 13.
- Ryan Boyer – Business Manager of the Laborers District Council of Metropolitan Philadelphia and Vicinity.
- Daisy Cruz – Mid-Atlantic District Leader of SEIU 32BJ.
- Ron Martin – President of the Wisconsin Education Association Council and an Eau Claire social studies teacher.