Please consider a holiday donation
With Christmas just around the corner, if you’re looking for a solid, helpful last-minute Christmas gift that will go a long way, consider a donation to the Robert J. Kelley $5 for the Fight Fund that helps our union families facing a life crisis.
With the COVID-19 pandemic that is ravaging workplaces across our region, more and more union families are turning to the Fight Fund for help. Here are a few recent examples:
- In a fire above her apartment, a union member lost clothes, furniture and needed a place to stay. New housings were made possible thanks to funds from $5 for the Fight.
- A single female union member called for help with her electric bill. The union member was out of work due to a work stoppage and got behind on payments. At the same time, she was diagnosed with COVID-19. Funding from $5 for the Fight helped the single mother avoid disconnection.
- A warehouse worker needed assistance keeping himself and his five-year-old son out of the dark after separating from his wife. Funds from $5 for the Fight helped the union parent from losing his electric service.
- Due to a work stoppage, a husband and wife were both laid off and their utility service was disconnected. The union members were helped by a pledge from $5 for the Fight funds and their service was quickly restored.
Please consider a special Christmas gift. How?
HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP
Donations to the $5 for the Fight Fund can be made by check or online. One hundred percent of each donation goes directly to the Fund. You can donate in these ways:
- Mail a check or money order to “$5 for the Fight, c/o St. Louis Labor Council, 3301 Hollenberg Drive, Bridgeton, MO 63044; please include your union affiliation.
- Online – Visit the 5-for-the-fight donation page to make a secure one-time donation or an “automatic monthly deduction.”
- Schnucks eScrip program – This is “free money,” as Schnucks donates a percentage of your purchase to the Fight Fund. It doesn’t cost you a thing. You can pick up an eScrip card at your local Schnucks store.
LEVELS OF GIVING
Donors are recognized on the Donor Honor Roll page and published periodically in the Labor Tribune print edition. The Honor Roll recognizes nine categories of giving:
- Apprentice – $1 to $12/ George Washington Honor Roll
- Journeyman – $13-50/Andrew Jackson Honor Roll
- Steward – $51-$99/ Ulysses S. Grant Honor Roll
- Chief Steward – $100 +/Ben Franklin Honor Roll
- Job Foreman – $500+ / William McKinley Honor Roll
- General Foreman – $1,000 +/ Grover Cleveland Honor Roll
- Major Donors – $2,500 +
- In Memoriam – to honor a loved one or friend or fellow union member.
One hundred percent of the donation goes into the “Fight Fund.” All efforts to promote and service the Fight Fund are donated by the Labor Council, United Way and the Labor Tribune.
From a lot of grateful people, “thank you” for agreeing that “We share because we care for one another.”
155 families aided by Fight Fund
The $5 for the Fight Fund helped 155 union members and families this year, United Way Vice President of Labor Engagement Sonja Gholston-Byrd reports.
The help included financial support for various needs paid directly to service providers, food cards and referrals to other United Way agencies for assistance.
Last year, 288 union families were aided.
Your donations to the Robert J. Kelley $5 for the Fight Fund make a real difference in people’s lives.
A Christmas donation in the spirit of the season will help many more.
To make a direct donation, visit our 5-for-the-fight donation page or mail a check or money order to “$5 for the Fight, c/o St. Louis Labor Council, 3301 Hollenberg Drive, Bridgeton, MO 63044; please include your union affiliation.