The AFL-CIO launched a television ad campaign this week highlighting the wave of collective action sweeping the country. From union organizing victories to the defeat of Prop A (“right-to-work”) in Missouri, working people are on the rise.
As AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka puts it, “Something is happening in America…. When we stand together, we have the power.
“Working people are tearing down a broken status quo to advance our movement, build a fairer economy and usher in a more just society.”
Here are just a few of the recent wins the Labor Movement has secured in that fight:
• 262,000 working people joined unions last year—three-quarters of them younger than 35.
• Pro-worker candidates were elected in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Alabama and states across the country.
• Prop A “right-to-work” was voted down by two-thirds of Missouri voters, including as many as half of Republicans who voted.
• The New York Times declared thatthe wind is at Labor’s back, and even the corporate-centric Wall Street Journal warned CEOs that unions are on the march.
• Labor unions’ approval rating has risen to 61 percent, the highest in nearly 15 years.
You can watch a video of the ad on the Labor Tribune website at labortribune.com/we-are-rising-we-are-winning/ or on YouTube at youtube/rmgjGW-M0qc.