Is your union in?
In the upcoming Tug-O-War that is, which will be only one of the many highlights of the renewed Labor Tug-O-War and Gala Family Picnic to be held for ALL union members and families on both sides of the river on Saturday, Sept. 28 from 8 a.m to 3 p.m.
Letters will be going out this week to several hundred unions inviting them to field a Tug Team and invite their members’ families to join in the festivities.
Mark your calendars now and plan to attend this fun-filled day that will feature:
• The local-against-local tug-of-war for the right to display the beautiful crystal travelling trophy for the coming year and, of course, bragging rights. To date, an Illinois local has not won any of the four contests. Come on Illinoisans, it’s time to show your mettle!;
• A kids tug-o-war that will be age appropriate for kids of all ages with prizes for everyone;
• Family fun booths where there will be games for adults and children alike, with prizes, of course;
• A dunking booth that will feature prominent labor leaders willing to chance the ire of their members…for a small fee, of course, with $$ going to $5 for the Fight;
• For the kids, face painting, clowns and special games that every age can enjoy to include an egg-toss that challenges the kids dexterity;
• A $5,000 cash prize drawing where only 200 raffle tickets at $50 each will be sold.
• Plenty of food and drink for the young and “older” alike.
HELP FOR FAMILIES
This year, funds raised will go to $5 for The Fight Fund that’s been hard at work helping hard working brothers and sisters who are out of work and need a helping hand. Also, part of the funds will go to the program’s two sponsors – the Rockwood and Tri-County Labor Clubs – to help with active outreach programs.
Past picnics have raised $45,000 for charities. This time, the decision was made to keep the funds “at home” to help out-of-work union families.
As in the past, unions throughout the region – both in Missouri and Southern Illinois- are encouraged to participate, both by fielding a Tug Team and encouraging their members to come out and enjoy the festivities.
The program will be held in Forest Park at the Cricket Fields from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. with the Tug-O-War to begin at 10 a.m.
Mark your calendars now.
For more information contact either:
• Rockwood Labor Club: Marty McClimens at 314-920-1404/email: email@example.com.
• Tri-County Labor Club: Steve Bailey at 636-794-4878/email: firstname.lastname@example.org.