By TIM ROWDEN
St. Peters, MO – Rockwood Labor Club and Tri-County Labor Club are bringing back their popular Labor Tug-O-War this year with a reminder to Vote ‘NO’ on Prop A to defeat so-called “right-to-work.”
This year’s competition will be held Saturday, Aug. 4, at 370 Lakeside Park in St. Peters, MO –– just three days before the vote to defeat Prop A (“right-to-work”).
The event will include a picnic and, in addition to reminding everyone to get out and Vote ‘NO’ on Prop A will help raise funds for Rebuilding Together St. Louis, the union-supported program to help low-income elderly and disabled homeowners.
The local vs. local Tug-O-War is open to all locals in Missouri and southern Illinois.
“This event is going to be a rally to get our members excited about voting ‘NO’ on Prop A on Aug. 7,” said Event Chairman and Rockwood Labor Club President Marty McClimens, a member of Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 562.
Entered teams will weigh-in between 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
The actual tug event will start at 11 a.m.
DOES YOUR LOCAL HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?
The powerful Sprinkler Fitters Local 268 has dominated the competition in the last couple of events and has committed to defending their title. In addition, the following eight teams have registered to compete:
• Iron Workers Local 396
• Sheet Metal Workers Local 36
• Elevator Constructors Local 3
• Laborers’ Local 660
• Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 562
• Carpenters District Council
• Operating Engineers Local 513
• UAW Local 2250
Is your local listed? If not, why not? You still have time to enter a team.
FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
The day’s activities will include:
• Labor Tug-O-War – A double elimination contest with medals going to the top four teams and the winner taking home the coveted traveling Greg Booth/Dee Sprayberry Memorial Crystal Trophy, named after the late IBEW Local 1 Business Manager Greg Booth and late Operating Engineers Local 513 veteran Business Representative Dee Sprayberry.
• A family picnic with food provided. Rockwood and Tri-County Labor Clubs will provide hamburgers, hot dogs and bratwurst free for those who attend.
• A Kids Tug-O-War and other kid’s games, with candy and other prizes for all participants.
• A Kids Fishing event from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., sponsored by the Rockwood and Tri-County Labor Clubs and the Missouri AFL-CIO. The first 100 kids will receive a FREE rod and reel courtesy of the Labor clubs, the Missouri AFl-CIO and Pure Fishing.
• Very nice attendance prizes including: Cardinals tickets, gift cards and a couple of bicycles.
• Fun and excitement as union members and their families cheer on their big and little champions.
Lakeside Park also has fishing, boat rentals, archery range, dog park and a RV park.
BENEFITS REBUILDING TOGETHER
In addition to generating excitement about the NO on Prop A vote, the event will benefit Rebuilding Together St. Louis, which has long counted on the skills and generosity of union members and unions’ signatory contractors to provide needed home repairs for seniors, low-income homeowners and people with disabilities who cannot afford to make repairs on their own.
“Rebuilding Together is a tremendous community betterment program that we’re proud to be a part of,” McClimens said. “The more teams and unions involved, the bigger the turnout the better.”
TEAMS AND SPONSORS
Sponsors are greatly needed to support the fundraising effort.
To register your team or to be a sponsor, contact Marty McClimens with Rockwood Labor Club at 314-920-1404 or email firstname.lastname@example.org; or Ron Arbuthnot with Tri-County Labor Club at 314-393-4578 or email rarbuthnot@local562.