In the tradition of member involvement, Laborers Local 110 has had a successful fall for its members and their children:
• Just before the beginning of the 2013 school year, the local completed its fourth consecutive year of providing members’ children in grades K-2, 3-5 and 6-12 with a gift bag of school supplies, especially during this economic time when a lot of its members are having trouble finding consistent employment.
The local distributed more than 400 bags with more than $5,000 worth of school suppliers to its members’ children.
• The union’s annual fall picnic was a rousing success, with fun for the entire family to include the ever popular Washers Tournament, $4,000 in prizes for a drawing, a barbeque, a fun bingo program that provided $1,750 to lucky winners, and lots of kids games, miniature golf, pony rides, clowns, a magic show, air ride, traditional snow cones and much more.
Some of the winners in the various picnic events included:
• Washers Tournament: 1st place – Masa Barac and Matt Brueggemann ($200 each); 2nd place – Jose Latorre and Ivan Barac ($125 each); and 3rd place – All Wadlow and Ronnie Powell ($75 each).
• Picnic drawing of $100 each: Tim Tenjes, Larry Heinemann, Gary Runyon, James Gibbar, Eric Seeger, Brian Helms, Larry Friend, Joel Contraes and Tom Helfrich.
• Bingo winners ($100 each) included Cheryl Boston and Christine Freeman.
“These programs are another way our union is always trying to help families get to know one another, make new friends, grow stronger and live better,” said Local 110 Business Manager Don Willey. “We take our obligations to help our members in every way possible very seriously.”