Fairview Heights – The Southwestern Illinois Laborers District Council recently saw the first results of its new scholarship program with the awarding of 19 scholarships.
Two years, ago, the group raised $150,000 at an event to get the program started. The scholarships are for $1,000 each, and are provided to members or sons or daughters of members who maintain a gradepoint average of at least 2.6 and are full-time students at a community college, four-year college or trade school.
Each student also had to write an essay on the impact of the Labor Movement.
“We were all very impressed by the essays,” said Dustin Ramage, coordinator of the scholarship program.
The program will continue with more fund-raising and more scholarships in subsequent years.
This year’s scholarship recipients were:
- Clinton Trentman, son of Bob Trentman of Local 459, attending Southwestern Illinois College in construction management.
- Kayla Mattson, daughter of Brian Mattson of Local 459, attending Southern Illinois University in graphic design.
- Christina Leder, daughter of Ed Leder of Local 397, attending Chamberlain College of Nursing.
- Ashley Hosto, daughter of Gary Hosto of Local 397, attending SIU in nursing.
- Ashley Leder, daughter of Ed Leder of Local 397, attending SIU in biomedical science.
- Miriam Reed, daughter of Edgar Reed of Local 397, attending Illinois College in the pre-veterinary program.
- Ka’lynn Price, daughter of Demarcus Mitchell of Local 100, attending University of Illinois in psychology.
- Caitlin Fox, daughter of James Fox II of Local 397, attending Rend Lake College in welding technology.
- Danielle Scott, daughter of Herman Scott of Local 218, attending Lewis and Clark Community College in the dental program.
- Stacey Baehler, a member of Local 338, attending Stevens Institute of Business and Arts paralegal program.
- Edmund Brunning, son of Bill Brunning of Local 742, attending Truman State University in the medical program.
- Jacob Brunning, son of Bill Brunning of Local 742, attending SIU Carbondale in architecture.
- Kaitlyn Hemmer, daughter of Joseph Hemmer of Local 742, attending Lindenwood University in counseling.
- Jenna Teetor, daughter of Jason Teetor of Local 338, attending McKendree University in interactive media.
- Jonathan Sterling, a member of Local 338, attending Lewis and Clark College in English.
- Heather Mench, stepdaughter of Joseph Geromiller, Jr., of Local 44, attending Lindenwood University in business administration.
- Justin Freivogel, son of Brian Freivogel of Local 459, attending Saint Louis University in criminal justice and computer engineering.
- Dustin Scheller, son of Nick Scheller of Local 338, attending SIU Edwardsville in nursing.
- Timadj Wellmaker, daughter of Timothy Wellmaker of Local 397, attending SIU Edwardsville in elementary education.