Effort will take place March 7-14
Missouri Women in Trades (MOWIT) has volunteered to remodel two kitchens and two bathrooms at the Baker House, a transitional home for women, and it needs your help.
The apartment building, operated by the Center for Women in Transition (CWIT), is located at 322 Courtois in St. Louis. CWIT provides comprehensive wrap-around services for women reentering the St. Louis community from jail or prison.
MOWIT, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping women enter and succeed in careers in the building trades, is seeking volunteers and donations for the eight-day remodeling effort at the building, which opened in 2005 and is home to 12 women. It will take place March 7 through March 14 at various times during the day.
“We will have a variety of opportunities available from novice to expert, and all volunteers are welcome,” said MOWIT President Beth Barton. “We need donations of materials and supplies for the project, and we are urgently looking for an electrician that can run service to the microwaves in the kitchens.”
Specific materials needed include:
- Comfort-height toilets with lids.
- 36-inch bathroom vanities with mirrors.
- 60-inch bathtubs with shower surrounds.
- 36-inch wall-mount light fixtures.
- Bathroom exhaust fans.
The eight-day work plan will generally follow this schedule:
- Sunday, March 7 (noon – 4 p.m.): Protect finishes to remain. Demolition of bathroom fixtures, drywall and tile.
- Monday, March 8 (4 – 8 p.m.): Demolition of kitchen cabinets and moving of appliances. Do any needed framing. In-wall plumbing demolition.
- Tuesday, March 9 (4 – 8 p.m.): New plumbing installation and electrical rough-in.
- Wednesday, March 10 (4 – 8 p.m.): Add any needed framing. Install new drywall. Bed coat mud.
- Thursday, March 11 (4 – 8 p.m.): Second coat mud, move cabinets and fixtures into space and install bathtubs.
- Friday, March 12 (4 – 7 p.m.): Finish coat mud.
- Saturday, March 13 (8 a.m. – 4 p.m.): Sand walls and paint. Install new toilet and sink/cabinet fixtures.
- Sunday, March 14 (noon – 4 p.m.): Finish up and clean up as needed.
CWIT’s mission is to advocate for and assist women transitioning out of the criminal justice system. For more information, visit cwitstl.org or call 314-771-5207.