Large turnout needed to send message to reluctant legislators that attacking working families is NOT the way to grow Missouri
Jefferson City – Sean McGarvey, president of the AFL-CIO Building & Construction Trades Department, will keynote speak the “Stand Up for Missouri’s Middle Class” labor rally and lobby day here at noon on March 26. The rally, sponsored by the Missouri State Building & Construction Trades Council with support from the Missouri AFL-CIO and labor organizations across Missouri, is designed to send a message to our lawmakers that they can’t trample on the rights of Missouri’s workers and their families.
Union members and families from all unions across Missouri are invited to attend.
Here’s key information:
• Lobbying – Members coming up early are asked to visit with their legislator between 10:30 and 11:45 a.m. to help educate them on the key anti-worker issues being considered, including right-to-work, paycheck deception and anti-prevailing wage legislation. A booth in front of the Capitol building will have literature on the issues as well as a list of legislators and their office locations for those who don’t know who their legislator is.
• Rally – Gather at noon in front of the Capitol building. In addition to Garvey, Governor Jay Nixon and key legislators will make brief remarks.
• Bus Transportation – Many unions are providing bus transportation. Contact your union local for information.
• Carpooling – Because of limited parking, if you’re driving up, carpooling is recommended. For those who want to carpool and can offer others a ride, meet at the Machinists District 9 parking lot, 12365 St. Charles Rock Road between 7 and 8 a.m. to form carpools.
• Parking – While there is limited parking around the Capitol, Electrical Workers Local 257 has opened their parking lot to everyone. The union will operate a shuttle van from the hall to the Capitol. A roller rink near the hall will also be available for parking.
Directions to Local 257’s hall at 209 Flora Drive: From Highway 54 when nearing Jefferson City, exit on Ellis Blvd., take a left, go to the second stop light and then left on Christy Drive to Flora, make a right on Flora and the union hall is on the left.
• Rain – In case of rain, the rally will be cancelled but lobbying will continue.
TREAT LEGISLATORS WITH RESPECT
Remember, we attract more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Speak respectfully with your legislator, even if they disagree with our position or are on the fence. These issues are highly charged on both sides, and getting into a shouting match with a representative can only hurt our cause, not help. One angry legislator can convince others to change their support. So please, be respectful under ALL circumstances.