Missouri Senator Gina Walsh (D-Bellefontaine Neighbors), president of the Missouri State Building and Construction Trades Council and a retired member of Heat and Frost Insulators Local 1, will be among the honorees at the St. Louis County NAACP’s 81st Annual Freedom Fund Leadership dinner.
The “Rise Together” dinner will be held Thursday, June 22 at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Clayton starting with a reception at 5 p.m., followed by dinner and the awards program at 6:45 p.m.
Senator Walsh, a leader among Missouri Senate Democrats and a representative of North St. Louis County, is being honored with a Legacy Award for championing a more inclusive Missouri and a stronger St. Louis region.
Held each June, the Freedom Fund Leadership Dinner brings together over 1,200 community leaders to celebrate the achievements of America’s oldest and largest Civil Rights Organization, and highlights the contributions of community leaders that support diversity and inclusion, social justice and the advancement of Civil Rights across the State of Missouri.
This year’s honorees include:
• Margaret Bush Wilson Lifetime Achievement Honoree – Former Governor Bob Holden.
• Corporate Partner for Diversity Inclusion – Lodging Hospitality Management (LHM).
• Medgar Wiley Evers Legal Advocacy Award – Attorney Ronald Norwood, Partner, Lewis Rice, LLC.
• Daisy Bates Commitment to Education Award – The LINKS, Inc.
• Minority Entrepreneur of the Year – James “Jimmy” Williams, President, Estel Foods, Inc.
2017 Legacy Honorees
• Ken Franklin, vice president Advocacy & Governmental Relations Bi-State Development Agency.
• Laurna Godwin, president Vector Communications Corporation.
• Jason Hall, managing director, Arch to Park Collaborative.
• Dr. Tina Clark Scott, Associate Superintendent Normandy Schools Collaborative.
• Senator Gina Walsh, Democratic Floor Leader, Missouri State Senate, 13th District.