Special efforts are continuing this year to help raise funds for union families.
'FREE MONEY' FROM SCHNUCKS
The Schnucks eScrip program is ‘free money’ to help out-of-work families. We encourage everyone to consider picking up a free eScrip card at their local Schnucks,” said David Cook, president, UFCW Local 655, who initially, with the United Way, coordinated the program with the company.
It doesn’t cost you a penny to participate. Schnucks, as part of its outstanding community outreach, will donate a percentage of your purchase to the Fight Fund. It’s that easy. The amount of their money donated by Schnucks goes up as your total purchases for the month climb: one percent for the first $300, two percent from $301 - $600 and three percent from $601 - $999.
HOW TO ESCRIP
• Have a card? If you already have a Schnucks eScrip Card, you can add the Fight Fund to your existing card by simply calling 1-800-931-6258 and add “St. Louis Labor Council-5 for the Fight” to it. Keep in mind you can designate up the three organizations to get the funding as long as the group is registered with Schnucks to participate.
• Need a card - If you don’t have a card it’s simple to get one. Pick one up at the Customer Service Center. You can have the cashier swipe the card that day when you pay for your groceries. However, once you get home you must register the card to get credit for what you just purchased and for future purchases. There are two ways to register:
- Phone - call 1-800-931-6258. Say that you want your purchases credited toward “St. Louis Labor Council-5 for the Fight” - Group #500030665 OR,
- Online - at escrip.com/schnucks.jsp. When on line, click “register your card” and follow the prompts and fill in all the required information. Make sure you indicate that you want your purchases credited toward “St. Louis Labor Council-5 for the Fight” where it asks you “Enter a Group Name” and then also check the box when the council’s name comes up.
If you register within seven days of any purchase, that amount is retroactively credited to the $5 for the Fight Fund.
Each card also comes with a smaller card that attaches to your key chain so it’s handy each time you buy groceries.
BLUES, MOOLAH SHRINE CIRCUS
If you plan on attending a Blues game or going to the Moolah Shrine Circus, here’s how you can make a $5 for the Fight donation simply by attending:
- Blues – For every ticket sold for the upcoming game April 4 game against the Coyotes, the Blues will donate $5 per ticket. To obtain the donation, you need to order online at stlouisblues.com/union or call 314-613-1885. Tickets must be purchased through one of these two processes in order for the Fight Fund to get the donation. This is the third game this year the Blues have committed to the Fight Fund. Previous games are on Feb. 18 and Feb. 22.
* Content continues below advertisement.
- Circus – The incredible Moolah Shrine Circus will also donate $5 per $15 General Admission ticket sold for any of their four performances on Thur., Mar. 17 (7 p.m.), Fri., March 18 (10:30 a.m. & 7:30 p.m.), Sat., Mar.19 (10 a.m., 2:30 and 7:30 p.m.) and Sun., March 20 (1 & 6 p.m.).
However, the sales must go thru IBEW Local 1439 Business Rep Mark Staffne who is handling the sales for the Fight Fund. Send check payable to Moolah Shrine to Brother Mark Staffne, IBEW 1439, 2121 59th St., St. Louis, MO 63110 or call him at 314-520-1128.
For each adult ticket bought, the Shrine will donate a free child’s ticket for all under 12. Mark proudly notes that the new St. Louis Shriner’s Hospital is 100 percent union built.
A special “thank you” to the organizers and participants for each of these special efforts to raise money to help out-of-work union families meet crisis needs.