By ED FINKELSTEIN
Teamsters Joint Council 13 has informed the group’s some 15,000 members and retirees of its Schnucks Markets boycott, dramatically increasing the outreach of the Teamsters Local 688 boycott that’s having a major impact on Schnucks’ business.
“The actions of Schnucks Markets are despicable and will not be tolerated without a fight,” wrote Joint Council President Marvin Kropp.
“Basically, what Schnucks is doing is firing over 200 hard-working Teamster members who have devoted their lives to this company only to see their employment cease and their work outsourced to a third party at much lower rates of pay and no benefits.”
The Joint Council has nine Teamster local affiliates – Bottle Brewers Local 6; Construction Drivers Local 682; Highway and City Freight Drivers Local 600; Automobile Transport Chauffeurs Local 604; Drivers, Helpers, Health Care & Public Employees Local 610; Auto Petroleum Airline Division Local 618; Graphic Communications Local 38N; Teamsters Warehousemen Chauffeurs Local 833; and Warehouse and Distribution Workers Local 688, which initiated the boycott.
“Local 688 leadership has continually tried to reach out to Todd Schnuck to avoid this type of action, but to no avail. The request fell on deaf ears,” Kropp noted.
THANKS TO THOSE ON PICKET LINE
Local 688 has expressed its appreciation to other union members who have joined them on the picket line, often bringing refreshments and water.
Paul Eaton, a 688 member and picketer, said on Facebook: “Would like to say thank you to everyone that came out and helped … we really appreciate your help and support! We thank everyone that brought water to keep us hydrated; this weekend was a real hot one. We really appreciate it!”
Added picketer Todd Varady: “Just wanted to say Thank You from all the 688 members for the support and for the people that have helped us. We are small in number, so it’s hard for us to cover a bunch of stores on any given day, but please let your family know that even if they don’t see us at a store, the boycott is still on and don’t patronize the stores!”
PUBLIC SUPPORT CONTINUES
The public’s enthusiasm and support continues unabated as social media posts indicate. A few posts last week:
- “Count me in this boycott!!! I do hope Todd changes his mind. However I would be surprised if he does. Greedy people usually lack compassion towards others. That is why this is happening. Hopefully this will be a wake-up call. Count me in!! – Shellie Gowen
- “Schnucks needs to hire its union employees back. I’m driving 15 minutes just to go to a Shop ‘n’ Save and passing two Schnucks on the way.” – Mikey Sewell
- “Schnucks family doesn’t care! BOYCOTT is all they’ll understand!” – Ken Feldmann
- “I honor the boycott too!!!! My father was a union man also and supported all of us growing up in the 60’s. I and many others will support Local 688 and end the greed.”– Lauree Salamon
- “Just learned of the boycott a few minutes ago. I will not shop there during the boycott.” – D. Marcheta Pannell McCoy