Let’s see: American citizens in Puerto Rico, where the devastation is complete, are desperate just to have water and electricity and are begging for more help while our president plays golf and mocks them as being lazy and selfish…
Millions of Americans are still without healthcare and millions more are threatened with losing theirs…
Some 800,000 young people brought to the U.S. as children, who know no other home and had been protected under the Differed Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program are now threated with deportation to places they don’t even know…
… and the Republicans yesterday, Wednesday, Oct. 4, were scheduled to hear a bill to spend $10 BILLION on a wall the majority of Americans don’t want built, plus spend another $5 BILLION on 10,000 more border guards and use of the National Guard to further block the border and ports of entry.
SOMETHING IS AMISS
Something is amiss here.
The swamp President Trump promised to drain actually seems to be getting deeper and murkier: His appointees, all millionaires from Wall Street who have never dirtied their hands with “common work,” have spent millions of our taxpayer dollars on unauthorized government junkets for personal purposes:
• Health & Human Services Secretary Tom Price: Publicity over the 24 trips he took on chartered jets at a cost of over $1 million forced him to resign, but the president never said “You’re fired” as he should have;
• Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin took a taxpayer-funded trip to Kentucky to watch the eclipse (among many flights) and requested an Air Force plane to take him on his honeymoon;
• EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt has spent $58,000 on “non-commercial flights;”
• Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke has been using taxpayer-funded private jets to travel from Las Vegas to his hometown in Montana and take private flights between St. Croix and St. Thomas in U.S. Virgin Islands;
• Secretary of Veterans Affairs David Shulkin flew his wife on our dime to meet him in Europe.
• $146 million tax dollars spent in a year for first-class airfare tickets for federal employees.
What’s a billion here or there for the governing class when average Americans can’t do anything about it? The problem isn’t us it’s THEM, that foreign other. Pay no attention, we’re building a wall!
SUCK IT UP!
What does our president have to say about his teams’ outrageous spending, the desperate needs of American citizens in Puerto Rico, children brought here illegally through no fault of their own? “Suck it up!”
To Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz of San Juan, Puerto Rico? “Stop your bitching and suck it up.”
When the Lady Liberty, holding the eternal torch of hope in New York Harbor said:
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free…”
…she must have had her fingers crossed.
To the American people, a gentle reminder: Elections have consequences.