Elevator Constructors Local 3 is picketing the St. Louis City Public Schools for using Nationwide Lifts. Nationwide is a non-union out-of-state contractor using-out-of state worker’s to install Limited Use, Limited Access handicapped accessible elevators in the schools. Nationwide has recently performed similar work in the area and paid below area standard wages and benefits established by Local 3.
Nationwide was contracted by Demien Construction, a union contractor out of Wentzville which is doing other work at the schools.
The LULAs are required under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and are being installed by Nationwide at nine different schools. The schools are:
• Ashland Elementary, 3921 N. Newstead
• Bryan Hill Elementary, 2128 Gano Ave.
• Buder Elementary, 5319 Landsdowne Ave.
• Columbia Elementary, 3120 St. Louis Ave.
• Hamilton Elementary, 5819 Westminster Place.
• Laclede Elementary 5821 Kennerly Ave.
• Oak Hill Elementary, 4300 Morganford Rd.
• Patrick Henry Downtown Academy, 1220 N. 10th Street
• Shaw VPA, 5329 Columbia Ave.
In addition to picketing; The Elevator Constructors have hand billed City Hall and the St. Louis board of Education. This is being done in an effort to raise awareness of the injustice being done to the local workforce. Nationwide is registered with the city as a business and is paying earnings tax but does not have a Department of Labor registered apprentice program and is not meeting minority hiring requirements set forth by the City of St. Louis.