Getting the Raise Up Missouri initiative to raise Missouri’s minimum wage and the CLEAN Missouri initiative to make state government more transparent on the ballot could help defeat RTW. That’s because people who support raising the minimum wage and cleaning up Missouri politics are more than likely to vote to defeat RTW.
The Missouri AFL-CIO has endorsed both measures.
RAISE UP MISSOURI
No one who works full-time should have to live in poverty.
Right now, too many Missouri parents who work – often at more than one job – still struggle to put food on the table.
The Raise Up Missouri ballot initiative would raise the minimum wage to $8.60 in 2019 and 85 cents each year after that, capping at $12 in 2023. The wage would then continue to rise with the cost-of-living.
More than 500,000, or one in five working Missourians, would see their wages rise by the time the raise is fully implemented, and nearly a million, or one in three working Missourians, would see a benefit from the ripple effects of working people having more money to spend in their communities.
You can donate to the campaign or volunteer to help gather signatures by visiting raiseupmo.org.
The CLEAN Missouri initiative would:
• Lower campaign contribution limits for state legislative candidates.
• Eliminate almost all lobbyist gifts in the General Assembly.
• Require that House and Senate members wait two years before becoming lobbyists.
• Require that legislative records be open to the public.
• Ensure that neither political party is given an unfair advantage when new maps are drawn after the next census.
For more information or to volunteer, visit CleanMissouri.org.