Volunteers, materials needed for five-day event
By SHERI GASSAWAY
Missouri Women in Trades (MOWIT) and the St. Louis chapter of the National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC) are teaming up to remodel four kitchens at the Baker House, a supportive home for women transitioning from incarceration.
The organizations are seeking volunteers and donations for the five-day effort, which will take place March 18 through March 22 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Baker House apartment building, which is operated by Center for Women in Transition. The house, located at 322 Courtois in St. Louis, opened in 2005 and is home to 12 women.
“We’ll be helping their team remove old items, repair plumbing, provide electrical updates and install new items,” said MOWIT President Beth Barton. “The work will take place over several days, and volunteering opportunities are available for a couple hours or full days all week. No experience is needed, but welcome.”
In addition to volunteers, materials for the remodel are needed.
- Specifically, the following items are needed:
- Four microwaves, under cabinet mount.
- Four three-hole kitchen faucets.
- Four sink strainer assemblies.
- Plumbing supplies, including drain PVC lines, P-traps and fittings.
- Four kitchen lights, electrical boxes, outlets and wire.
- Paint for walls and ceiling.
The five-day work plan will generally follow this schedule:
- Wednesday, March 18 – Protect flooring with tarps; remove cabinets and backsplash; a plumber is needed to replace kitchen drain stacks with PVC.
- Thursday, March 19 – Add electrical outlets for microwaves and update lighting. Replace drywall. Paint walls and ceilings.
- Friday, March 20 – Finish putting up drywall and painting.
- Saturday, March 21 – Install cabinets and counter tops; hook up drain and water; start on back splashes.
- Sunday, March 22 – Hang microwaves and add finishing touches.
To sign up for a specific time slot, visit cwitstl.org/events.html or call 314-771-5207.