3rd Annual Blue Collar/Black Tie Tradeswomen Awards Gala will be held Sept. 17
By SHERI GASSAWAY
Missouri Women in Trades, a non-profit group dedicated to helping women enter and succeed in the building trades, is seeking nominations for its 3rd Annual Blue Collar/Black Tie Tradeswomen Awards Gala on Friday, Sept. 17.
The black-tie optional event will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. at Sheet Metal Workers’ Local 36 Grand Hall, 2319 Chouteau Ave. in St. Louis. It will include dinner, a cash bar, a quilt and 50/50 raffle and the award ceremony.
“With the pandemic, 2020 was a challenging year for all, and we are glad to return to celebrate our gala in person this year,” said MOWIT President Beth Barton. “The event will showcase tradeswomen’s achievements as well as the great strides made by local contractors and unions to support women in the trades.”
MOWIT is seeking nominations for the following award categories. If you are interested in nominating a tradeswoman, union or contractor, submit your nomination by Friday, Aug. 13. The award categories include:
- Tradeswoman of the Year – This is a currently working tradeswoman with at least four years of experience. She has achieved a skill level respected by her peers, supervisors and the community, shows passion for her work and mutual respect for co-workers. To nominate a tradeswoman, visit https://forms.gle/BqcVH9AfHfASYEzi6.
- Breaking Barriers – Union/Pre-Apprenticeship Program of the Year – MOWIT’s goal is to honor unions who support, advocate and sustain women in the workplace. How has this union made innovations, broken barriers and improved the status of women in the skilled trades? Nominate a union by visiting https://forms.gle/as6qPC24U8JnmLLH8.
- Breaking Barriers – Contractor of the Year – The group’s goal is to honor contractors who support, advocate and sustain women in the workplace. How has this company made innovations, broken barriers and improved the status of women in the skilled trades? Nominate a contractor by visiting https://forms.gle/CjRH835bbHCuYKXB6.
- Gina Walsh Legacy Award – This award will be given to a tradeswoman who has made significant and lasting contributions to their community or the industry over a period of time. Nominate a tradeswoman by visiting https://forms.gle/CtyDPgTVx1oWA3Du6.
In addition to the individual awards, MOWIT will be calling up two groups for recognition: tradeswomen who have entered into an apprenticeship in the last year and tradeswomen who have journeyed out in the last year.
The organization will also do a brief roll call of tradeswomen recognized by their years of service for five, 10, 15, 20, 25 and over 25 years.
MOWIT is seeking sponsorships for the gala fundraiser. Sponsorship levels include:
- Bronze ($500) – Listing in program booklet and MOWIT video.
- Silver ($1,500) – Listing in program booklet and event video, a quarter-page color ad and four tickets.
- Gold ($2,500) – Listing in program booklet and event video, a half-page color ad and table of eight.
- Platinum ($3,500) – Listing in program booklet and event video, a full-page color ad and table of eight.
TICKETS AND PROGRAM BOOK
Tickets for the event are $75 per person or $600 for a table of eight. The cost for apprentices is $50. Advertising in the program book is available on a first-come, first-serve basis at the following prices:
- Full-page, black-and-white – $500.
- Half-page, black-and-white – $250.
- Quarter-page, black-and-white – $125.
Email ads in a .pdf or .jpg format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for tickets, ad submissions and sponsorships is Friday, Aug. 27.
Make checks payable to MOWIT and mail to 3245 Hampton Ave., 2nd Floor, St. Louis, MO 63139. For more information, call 636-926-6948 or visit mowit.org.