Organized Labor is putting forth a coordinated effort to elect and re-elect worker-friendly Republicans in the Missouri House and Senate and that requires asking some union members to do something they don’t often do in the Primary Election Aug. 2 – take a Republican ballot.
Locally, worker-friendly Republicans in Jefferson and St. Charles counties who stood with Organized Labor in defeating right-to-work now find themselves under attack by far right conservative PACs that are bankrolling their opponents in the Republican primary election.
These are the local candidates who need our support:
- Anne Zerr, who is seeking the Republican nomination for the 23rd Senate District formerly held by Senator Tom Dempsey. The district includes Cottleville, O’Fallon, Portage Des Sioux, St. Charles, St. Peters, Weldon Spring and West Alton.
In the House, worker-friendly Republican candidates needing our help in Primary include:
- Chrissy Sommer (St. Charles) (HD 106)
- Rick Lucas, (St. Peters) (HD 107)
- Shane Roden (Cedar Hill) (HD 111)
- Jeff Schwentker (O’Fallon) (HD 108)
- Nate Tate (St. Clair) (HD 119)
You don’t need to vote the whole ballot to vote for these worker-friendly Republicans. Simply vote in their races only and then turn your ballot in.
If you live outside of these districts, vote as you normally would.
If you’re not sure who your representative is, or what district you live in, you can visit the Missouri House of Representatives website at house.mo.gov/legislatorlookup.aspx and enter your zip code to find your representative and district.
Volunteers needed for election canvasing, phone banking in critical 23rd Senate district
This year’s primary and general elections are critical to working families in Missouri.
An override of Gov. Jay Nixon’s veto of paycheck deception legislation was defeated in the recently ended legislative session by only one vote. Losing even one worker-friendly Democrat or Republican could spell disaster in next year’s legislative session. Missouri could become a right-to-work state.
The Missouri AFL-CIO and its affiliated unions are asking members to turn out for door-to-door canvasing in the critical 23rd Senate District, where friend of working families Anne Zerr (R-St. Charles) is seeking to succeed Tom Dempsey.
The following canvassing, Get Out The Vote and phone-banking opportunities have been scheduled leading up to the election. If you’re available to volunteer, you can help shape the outcome of this election.
Following are the canvassing and Get Out The Vote dates and times. Meet at Tri-County Labor Legislative Club, 10, Droeste Square, St. Charles, MO (behind bowling alley).
- Tuesday, July 26, 5:30 - 8 p.m.
- Thursday, July 28, 5:30 - 8 p.m.
- Friday, July 29, 5:30 - 8 p.m., GOTV.
- Saturday, July 30, 10:30 a.m. - 1 p.m., GOTV.
- Sunday July 31, 10:30 a.m. - 1 p.m., GOTV.
- Monday, Aug. 1, 5:30 - 8 p.m., GOTV.
Following are phone banking opportunities at UFCW Local 655, 300 Weidman Road, Manchester, MO.
- Thursday, July 28, 3-8 p.m.
- Friday, July 29, 3-8 p.m.
- Saturday, July 30, 10:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Sunday, July 31, noon - 3 p.m.
- Monday, Aug. 1, noon - 3 p.m.
- Tuesday, Aug. 2, noon - 6:30 p.m.
To RSVP or more information, email Missouri AFL-CIO Political Director Merri Berry at 314-420-8095 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.