The first major donations - $5,500 – for the $5 for the Fight Fund to help unemployed working families have launched the 2012 campaign. They came from Aetna Life Insurance Company and Lancia Consulting Group.
[frame src="https://labortribune.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/520for20fight.jpeg" width="250" height="150" align="left" style="2" linkstyle="none" title="TO HELP UNEMPLOYED UNION FAMILIES, $5,500 kicked off the 2012 ‘$5 for the Fight’ campaign last week as Aetna Life Insurance Company, represented by Aetna sales representative Paul Lancia (at right), presented the campaign an Aetna check for $5,000 and Lancia Consulting President Angelo Lancia (center) presented a personal check for $500 to St. Louis Labor Council President Bob Soutier. The presentations were made at last week’s labor council executive board meeting. - Labor Tribune photo"]In making the presentations last week at the St. Louis Labor Council Executive Board meeting, Aetna Sales Executive Paul Lancia presented an Aetna check for $5,000 and Angelo Lancia, president, Lancia Consulting, presented a personal check for $500.
“We are pleased to be able to support the working families who need help,” Paul Lancia said. “Aetna is a company that understands the needs of working families, and that when one is out of work, it’s difficult all around. We hope this can help. We’re glad to be there when you need us most.”
Angelo Lancia, a long-time friend of working families and himself a union carpenter member that still carries his union card, added that he’s working on other firms to also give but that he couldn’t ask them to help if he didn’t first make his own contribution.
“We have more families in desperate need. We’re getting calls every day,” said Roz Sherman-Voellinger, United Way Community Services representative. “It’s incredible what union members have given, I only hope they can continue because the need is still so great.”
Council President Robert Soutier thanked both organizations for helping to launch the 2012 campaign.
CAN YOU HELP?
There are three ways to donate:
1) Direct contribution – send a check or money order (no cash please) made payable to “$5 for the Fight” and mailed to: $5 for the Fight, % St. Louis Labor Council, 3301 Hollenberg Drive, Bridgeton, MO 63044. Be sure to include your union affiliation.
2) On line – go to www.labortribune.com, click “$5 for the Fight Donations” to go to a secure donations page.
3) Automatic continuing deduction from your credit card: go to www.labortribune.com, click “$5 for the Fight Donations” to go to a secure donations page, check the “Automatic monthly deduction” and amount. Each month your designated donation will automatically be deducted from your credit card.
Remember that 100 percent of your donation goes into the “Fight Fund.” All efforts to promote and service the Fund are donated by the Labor Council, the United Way and the Labor Tribune.
IF YOU NEED HELP
If you are in need of emergency financial help, please don’t be too proud to ask for assistance. Contact your local union, who will verify membership; the labor liaison staff at the United Way will then process requests in line with established criteria. All contacts are strictly confidential!
In addition to the “$5 for the Fight” funds, the United Way has set aside some monies to help as well. Plus, the United Way can make referrals to other agencies where specific kinds of help and services are available at no cost.
CATEGORIES OF GIVING
• Apprentice - $1 to $12/ George Washington Honor Roll
• Journeyman - $13-50/Andrew Jackson Honor Roll
• Steward - $51-$99/Ulysses S. Grant Honor Roll
• Chief Steward - $100 +/Ben Franklin Honor Roll
• Major Donors Honor Roll - $2,500 +
• In Memoriam to honor a lovedone or friend or fellow union member.