United Way 2-1-1 is again partnering with local tax coalitions to provide free tax preparation services to St. Louis-area families with a household income of $55,000 or less in 2018. Last year, the partnership helped more than 18,000 people in our region receive all of the tax credits that they qualify for, like the Earned Income Tax Credit, which can be up to $6,431 for working families with children.
WHAT THEY PREPARE
Under the program, IRS trained volunteers will help you prepare and e-file federal and state tax returns for free, including:
- Form 1040
- Schedule B, C ($25,000 limit), EIC and R
- Form 1040-V
- Form 2441 (Child and dependent care credit)
- Form 8863 (Education credits)
- Form 8812 (Additional child tax credit)
You will receive your refund in seven to 10 days when you take advantage of free, fast direct deposit.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
For assistance preparing your taxes, you will need:
- All W-2s and 1099s
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) for all family members
- A valid picture ID for taxpayer and spouse (Driver’s License, State ID or Passport)
- If married and filing jointly, both spouses must be present to sign
- Copy of prior year’s tax return
- 1098 or real estate tax receipt
- Proof of unemployment compensation
- Copy of a voided check or bank and account and routing numbers for direct deposit
- Proof of child care expenses
- Parcel number (Illinois homeowners only)
- Form 1095-A: proof of health insurance from the market place
Anyone interested in receiving tax preparation help and who is eligible under the $55,000 household income threshold may contact United Way at 2-1-1 or visit 211helps.org for information on locations, dates and a list of documents required for services. The tax preparation sites operate on a walk-in basis or by appointment.