By TIM ROWDEN
Jefferson City –The Missouri AFL-CIO has formally endorsed the campaign of Nicole Galloway’s as she seeks the Democratic nomination for Governor.
Missouri’s State Auditor, Galloway, 37, of Columbia, is a friend of Labor, and the only Democrat presently serving in a statewide elected office.
“In 2018, Missouri voters resoundingly rejected so-called ‘right-to-work’ at the ballot box,” said Mike Louis, president of the Missouri AFL-CIO. “In spite of our historic victory, anti-labor forces remain determined to weaken the collective power of Organized Labor in Missouri.
“Nicole Galloway comes from a union family and has always had the backs of workers,” Louis said. “She represents the best hope for Missouri’s working families to ensure that instead of going backwards, we move forward into a prosperous future that uplifts workers and families. That’s why our organization is fully committed to her victory in 2020.”
ON THE SIDE OR WORKING FAMILIES
Galloway’s great grandfather worked on the Gateway Arch as a member of Operating Engineers Local 513, and she has numerous uncles, cousins and other family members who are also members of Local 513.
She was honored last year with a Leadership Award from the St. Louis Building and Construction Trades Council.
“I’m running to put Jefferson City back on the side of working families,” Galloway said. “As Governor, I’ll end the attacks on Organized Labor and worker freedom. I am encouraged that the Missouri AFL-CIO will have my back in this campaign. They know how to win, and proved it with their sizable victory in the ‘No on Prop A’ campaign in 2018, which was built by organizing person-to-person. That’s exactly what we’re going to do together in this campaign for a new way for Missouri.”
The Missouri AFL-CIO represent tens of thousands of working Missouri families and Missouri Central Labor Councils, local unions, trade union associations, committees, councils, districts and regional groups whose parent organizations are affiliated with the national AFL-CIO.
The Executive Board of the Missouri AFL-CIO making the endorsement includes representatives from:
- United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW)
- International Association of Machinists (IAM)
- United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters (UA)
- United Steelworkers (USW)
- Bricklayers and Allied Craft Workers (BAC)
- Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
- American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE)
- Communication Workers of America (CWA)
- Laborers International Union of North America (LiUNA)
- Iron Workers
- International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE)
- UNITE Here
- Kansas City Building Trades Council
- Alliance for Retired Americans (ARA)
- Seafarers Entertainment and Allied Trades Union
- Greater Kansas City Labor Council