By SHERI GASSAWAY
Missouri Women in Trades (MOWIT) is once again sponsoring a major remodeling project at the Baker House transitional home for women and is calling on female volunteers to get the job done.
The month-long effort will include the renovation of two kitchens and two bathrooms in the apartment building at 322 Courtois in St. Louis, which is operated by the Center for Women in Transition (CWIT). The non-profit organization provides comprehensive wrap-around services for women reentering the St. Louis community from jail or prison.
MOWIT, which is dedicated to helping women enter and succeed in careers in the union building trades, is seeking women skilled in specific trades as well as those who are interested in learning new skills to lend a hand on the project. Cash donations are also needed.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR BEGINNERS TO EXPERTS
“The remodel will consist of 13 workdays over the span of a month and volunteers can sign up for a couple hours or a couple days of their choosing,” said MOWIT President Aly Martinez. “There will be a variety of opportunities available for beginners to experts, and all volunteers are welcome. Donations or loans of power tools would also be appreciated.”
Last spring, MOWIT rounded up about 50 volunteers to remodel the kitchens and bathrooms in two other apartments in the CWIT building, and in December, it hosted a workday to transform a large closet into a therapy room.
Participants should wear work clothes and sturdy, close-toed shoes. Personal protective equipment and food and drinks will be provided. The work schedule, which is subject to change, is as follows.
- Saturday, May 7 (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.). Demolition.
- Tuesday, May 10 (4 to 8 p.m.) Plumbing.
- Thursday, May 12 (4 to 8 p.m.). Electrical.
- Saturday, May 14 (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.). Plumbing and electrical.
- Sunday, May 15 (9 a.m. to 2 p.m.). Plumbing.
- Tuesday, May 17 and Thursday, May 19 (4 to 8 p.m.). Insulation and drywall.
- Saturday, May 21 (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.). Drywall, mudding and taping.
- Sunday, May 22 (9 a.m. to 2 p.m.) and Tuesday, May 24 (4 to 8 p.m.). Mudding.
- Thursday, May 26 (4 to 8 p.m.). Sanding, priming and painting.
- Tuesday, May 31 and Thursday, June 2 (4 to 8 p.m.). Cabinets and plumbing fixtures.
CWIT’s mission is to advocate for and assist women transitioning out of the criminal justice system. For more information, visit cwitstl.org or call 314-771-5207.