By SHERI GASSAWAY
Missouri has introduced an incentive program that will offer 900 residents who have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine the chance to win $10,000.
Republican Gov. Mike Parson made the announcement last week as COVID cases continued to surge around the state while rates for those fully vaccinated remained stagnate at just 40 percent. Nationwide, 56 percent of those 12 and older are fully vaccinated, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
Missouri has made national news in the last few weeks as a “hot spot” for new cases of the Delta variant of the coronavirus. In the seven-day CDC reporting period ending July 22, Missouri had the second-highest number of new cases statewide (15,475) and the fourth highest rate of infection per 100,000 residents (252.1).
The goal of the incentive program is to get more Missourians to roll up their sleeves and bring the number of new cases down. State health officials say the most effective and long-lasting defense against the virus is the vaccine.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
Residents who have received at least one vaccine can enter the drawing by visiting covidvaccine.mo.gov/win. The Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services will partner with the Missouri Lottery to draw 180 winners in five drawings who will win either $10,000 cash or $10,000 toward an education savings account.
There will be three categories for the drawings:
- RED – Residents 18 or older who have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine on or after July 21, 2021, may register for a chance to win $10,000. Eighty winners will be chosen in each drawing.
- WHITE – Residents 18 or older who have received at least one dose of a vaccine before July 21, 2021, may register for a chance to win $10,000. Eighty winners will be chosen in each drawing.
- BLUE – Residents between the ages of 12 to 17 who have received one dose of a vaccine at any time may register for a chance to win a $10,000 education savings account through the Missouri State Treasurer’s MOST 529 program. Twenty winners will be chosen in each drawing.
The drawings will begin in August and take place every two weeks. Here is the schedule.
- Aug. 13 (winners announced Aug. 25).
- Aug. 27 (winners announced Sept. 8.)
- Sept. 10 (winners announced Sept. 22).
- Sept. 24 (winners announced Oct. 6).
- Oct. 8 (winners announced Oct. 20).
You only need to enter once to be eligible for all drawings, unless you win. You’ll receive a confirmation email verifying your entry was submitted. Winners will be contacted via the phone number and email address that was provided.
More than 116,000 Missourians registered for the lottery in the first 24 hours. To enter, residents are encouraged to visit covidvaccine.mo.gov/win or call 877-435-8411.
TO GET THE VACCINE
To register for a vaccine, visit covidvaccine.mo.gov/find/#navigator. Vaccines are also available at several local pharmacies and pop-up clinics in the area.